Why your Thorough Examination should always be carried out by an accredited provider
28 July 2022
… and how a CFTS-accredited procedure directly benefits you
“Poorly maintained MHE has the potential to cause serious injury, so when it comes to the Thorough Examination of that equipment, you can’t just take the word of someone who says they know what they’re doing.”
That’s the view of Geoff Martin, Chairman of CFTS, the industry’s accrediting body for the Thorough Examination of materials handling equipment.
“The problem is that most business owners don’t have the time to properly check the methods and credentials of an inspection provider who may only visit once a year and then disappear having given a clean bill of health,” explains Mr Martin.
“The only sure way you can protect your staff and your business is to enlist the services of an accredited provider. Someone who works to rigorous, defined and consistent standards that are independently audited. In other words, a CFTS-accredited examiner.
“For peace of mind, look out for the distinctive CFTS quality mark on documents and on the trucks themselves. It’s your guarantee that the equipment, and the examiner, are up to scratch”
Here are just a few of the key benefits of employing a CFTS-accredited Thorough Examination provider:
- Consistency: wherever you are in the country and however many sites you have, each is inspected to the same standard, using the same, extensive checklist
- Competence: a CFTS-accredited company must prove their examiners have the practical skills, qualifications and specific training to complete a Thorough Examination
- Traceability: complete audit trail for all aspects and all actions for every inspection
- Experience: CFTS-accredited examiners must have served 5 years as a service engineer in a relevant sector and successfully completed a course at an approved training centre
- In-depth training: every examiner must undergo regular refresher training
- Compliance: CFTS-accredited Thorough Examinations align with the latest regulations
- Accountability: get the backing of the accrediting body in case of any disputes
- Monitored service: the work of examiners is routinely inspected to safeguard standards
- Comprehensive: a CFTS Thorough Examination meets all HSE requirements by covering both LOLER and PUWER
- Cost-effective: rates are directly comparable with unregulated examiners
- Quality mark: CFTS independent assurance of quality
- Local: with more than 700 CFTS-accredited depots across the UK, excellence is on your doorstep